How to know when you need a Case Manager?
- Are you overwhelmed by medical issues?
- Have you recently been diagnosed with cancer or a severe illness or injury?
- Do you have multiple medical providers and feel they are not talking to each other?
- Do you need help understanding our complex healthcare system?
- Have you been in the hospital multiple times for the same problem?
If you answered yes to any one of these questions, you may need a Case Manager.
What is a Case Manager?
According to the Case Management Society of America, Case Managers:
“ . . . don’t manage people-they help people to manage complicated situations. Simply put, they help to keep you, or your loved ones, at the center of services being provided on your behalf.”
HealthSpan Case Managers are Registered Nurses with special experience in supporting members who are coping with complicated medical situations or severe illness.
With your permission, our Case Managers become actively involved in your healthcare and your recovery process. They evaluate all the information related to your condition, and work with you, your family, your physician(s), and other care providers toward the best possible outcome for you.
Our Case Managers provide education and support to help you understand all your healthcare options.
How can a HealthSpan Case Manager help me?
Our case managers support your changing medical needs:
- Assist with precertification
- Help you and your doctor arrange for care across multiple HealthSpan providers, facilities and other care settings.
- Provide information and education about your acute illness or ongoing condition
- Work with you and your doctor to minimize complications and the need for hospitalization.
- Provide information on available community resources.
- Work with you to improve your overall health and quality of life