How do I use the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) as a management tool?
The EAP can help you conduct an intervention with an employee who is experiencing poor performance. Assistance may include:
- Consultation about how to handle a difficult situation with an employee.
- Referring a poor performer to work with a counselor to get back on track.
- Providing training for staff on relevant topics related to their workplace.
What type of concerns would be appropriate to refer an employee to the EAP?
- Employee has been a good performer and suddenly shows decline in performance
- Employee has displayed inappropriate behavior on the job (verbal altercations, physical aggressiveness, poor boundaries with other employees, etc.)
- Substance abuse
- Violation of company policy
- Fitness for duty
- Suicidal/homicidal ideation
When is the EAP available to discuss employee issues?
Clinicians are available 24 hours a day/7 days a week to consult with a manager about a workplace situation. Call our office at 1-800-733-0257 or 513-551-1500. After hours, press the #2 to connect with our answering service who will page the clinician on call.
How do I make a formal referral?
Click here for forms and instructions. Once the forms are completed, please fax to our office at 513-551-1489. Direct the employee to call our office at 513-551-1500 after the forms have been faxed.
What can I expect after the referral is made?
The EAP Counselor will contact you to discuss:
- Compliance on the part of employee
- Whether the employee needs time away from work